How To Get Verified on Instagram? (Blue Check)February 1, 2024
Instagram Creator AccountFebruary 1, 2024
Alt text on Instagram, which stands for “alternative text,” is an essential component of Instagram that presents a key role in making the platform more inclusive and accessible. It is like a friendly narrator for your Instagram photos, ensuring that everyone can engage with and comprehend the content you share regardless of their visual abilities. Instagram alt text is similar to providing detailed captions for images. Still, its primary function is to describe visuals for users who may rely on assistive technologies, such as screen readers. It is particularly important in creating a welcoming and inclusive digital environment. Alt text on Instagram acts as a bridge that allows individuals who cannot see the pictures to still access and appreciate the essence of your content. Furthermore, Instagram alt text is an integral part of the Instagram SMM panel since it is directly linked to engagement and impressions on the platform.
In this article, we will discuss Instagram alt text, its purpose, and its significance in promoting inclusivity. We will provide a detailed guide on seamlessly adding alt text to your new and existing Instagram posts. Additionally, we will provide you with insights and practical tips on creating impactful alt text to ensure a richer and more accessible user experience for everyone. Keep in mind that whether you are a professional Instagram user or a complete beginner, embracing alt text can go a long way in creating a more engaging and enjoyable space for all.
What Is Instagram Alt Text?
So, let’s begin with the most basic question. What is alt text on Instagram? Understanding this question is the key to comprehending its importance for your overall engagement and existence on the platform.
Well, Instagram alt text is like a helpful tag for your pictures on the platform, designed to make the app more friendly and inclusive for everyone. Alt text stands for “alternative text,” and it basically describes what’s happening in your photos or videos. It’s particularly essential for people who may use tools like screen readers because they can’t see the images. So, when you add alt text to your Instagram posts, you’re making sure that each user can understand and enjoy your Instagram content regardless of their abilities. At one point, it’s like providing captions, but alt text goes the extra mile by creating a detailed description of your visuals. This simple yet powerful feature ensures that Instagram becomes a place where everyone, regardless of how they use the app, can share the experience of exploring and appreciating the diverse range of content posted by users worldwide.
Why Is Instagram Alt Text Important?
Now that we know what Instagram alt text is let’s unravel its importance. First of all, Instagram alt text is quite essential because it makes the platform more welcoming and accessible to everyone. In fact, when you add alt text to your pictures, you add a special description that helps people who can’t see the images understand what’s happening. This is especially important for users who rely on tools like screen readers, which read out the text on the screen. Without Instagram alt text, these users might miss out on the full experience of your photos or videos. Therefore, by including alt text, you ensure your content is accessible to everyone. Also, even if they do not need screen readers, some users might find it hard to get your point. So, using alt text is a fantastic way to make Instagram a more friendly and diverse space for everyone. Briefly, alt text on Instagram helps you create an inclusive experience for people all around the world. You underline your point and invite everyone to join your party!
How to Add Alt Text to Your Next Instagram Post?
Before we begin, just know that adding alt text to your next Instagram post is a straightforward process, and it’s a great way to make your content more accessible to a broader audience. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to add alt text to your next Instagram post:
- First, create your Instagram post as you normally would, whether it’s a photo, video, or carousel.
- Apply any desired filters or edits to your content before proceeding to the next step. Make sure your post looks visually engaging before you finalize this step.
- Craft your caption as you usually do. Instagram alt text is an additional step and won’t replace your caption.
- After writing your caption, proceed to the advanced settings. On the screen where you add your location and tag people, look for an option called “Advanced Settings” or “Accessibility.”
- In the “Advanced Settings” or “Accessibility” section, you’ll find an option to add “Alt Text” or “Write Alt Text.” Tap on it.
- Next, you will see a pop-up window. Through this window, you can write a description of your photo. Keep it concise but descriptive, capturing the essence of the image for those who may not see it. Consider mentioning key elements, people, or actions.
- After writing your alt text, save or apply the changes. Keep in mind that the steps you need to follow may vary slightly based on your device and Instagram app version.
- Once you’ve added alt text, share your post as usual.
By following these steps, you make your content more inclusive and accessible to individuals who rely on assistive technologies or benefit from detailed descriptions.
How to Add Alt Text to an Existing Instagram Post?
But what if you want to add alt text to an existing Instagram post? Well, it is as simple as adding Instagram alt text to your new post. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to add alt text to an existing Instagram post:
- Open the Instagram app on your device.
- Navigate to your Instagram profile by tapping your profile picture.
- Scroll through your posts and find the one to which you want to add Instagram alt text.
- You’ll see a three-dot icon in the post’s top right corner. Tap on it to open a menu.
- From the menu, choose the “Edit” option. This will allow you to make changes to your post.
- Look for an option related to “Advanced Settings” or “Accessibility,” depending on your device and app version.
- In the “Advanced Settings” or “Accessibility” section, you will find an option to add or edit “Alt Text” for the post. Tap on it.
- Then, a window will pop up for you to write a descriptive alt text for your existing post. Craft a concise but meaningful description that captures the essence of the post you have shared.
- Once you’ve added or edited the alt text, save the changes. The post will be updated with the new alt text.
How to See Alt Text on Instagram?
Instagram doesn’t offer a straightforward approach for users to view alternative text on a post unless they utilize a screen reader or other assistive technologies. Alt text on Instagram mainly aims to improve accessibility for users who depend on such tools. Here’s a general guide on how users with visual impairments can access alt text on Instagram:
- First of all, enable accessibility features.
- If you are an iOS user, enable the VoiceOver feature by going to Settings > Accessibility > VoiceOver.
- If you are an Android user, enable the TalkBack feature by going to Settings > Accessibility > TalkBack.
- Then, open the Instagram app on your device.
- Use your device’s screen reader gestures to go to the specific post for which you want to access Instagram alt text.
- Activate your device’s screen reader to read the content on the screen.
- As you navigate the post, the screen reader should notify the alt text associated with the image. The alt text is typically read out automatically when the screen reader encounters an image.
- Pause the screen reader to review the alt text if you need to do so. The Instagram alt text briefly describes the post, providing context for users who can’t see it.
How to Write Great Alt Text For Instagram?
Writing an excellent alt text for your Instagram posts is a wonderful way to make your content more inclusive and accessible. Here’s a simple guide to help you craft a compelling alt text on Instagram:
- Be Explanatory: Describe the fundamental elements in your post. Think about what someone might miss if they couldn’t see the picture or the video. Being descriptive is key to writing a great alt text for your Instagram posts.
- Keep It Straightforward: An Instagram alt text should be brief but meaningful. Go for a sentence or a few concise phrases to capture the essence of the image.
- Include People and Actions: Mention people in the post and any significant actions or movements describing the essence and meaning of the post. It helps you paint a vivid and lively picture for those who can’t see it.
- Always Add Context: Provide context about the setting, mood, or atmosphere in the post. Help your audience understand the story you’re telling or the point you’re making.
- Avoid Redundancy: If you think your caption describes the post well, you don’t need to repeat the same information in your alt text. Do not include an alt text unless you think it is really necessary.
- Consider Using Emoji Descriptions: If your post includes emojis, describe them in your alt text to convey their meaning to your audience.
- Regard Your Audience: Consider who might use screen readers to engage with your posts. Your Instagram alt text should provide a meaningful experience for them.
- Show Empathy: Imagine how you would describe the image to a friend who can’t see it. Use vivid and descriptive language that conveys emotions and details properly.
Here’s one of the simple Instagram alt text examples of an image of a beach sunset on a summer day:
“Alt text: A vibrant orange and pink sunset over a calm beach, with waves gently rolling onto the shore and a silhouette of a person enjoying the summer view.”
Remember, alt text on Instagram is about making your content accessible to everyone, so take a moment to add thoughtful descriptions to your images and enhance the Instagram experience for a broader audience.
Does alt text boost engagement on Instagram?
Alt text on Instagram is mainly used to make the platform more convenient for visually impaired users. Even though it may not directly impact the traditional engagement metrics such as likes or comments, including alt text in your posts contributes to a more inclusive environment. It ensures that a diverse audience, including those who use assistive technologies, can access and comprehend your content. Alt text may not affect engagement in a conventional sense, but it aligns with Instagram’s commitment to cultivating inclusivity and promoting positive user experiences.
When did Instagram introduce alt text?
In November 2018, Instagram added a new feature allowing users to include alt text to their photos. This feature was introduced as part of Instagram’s efforts to improve accessibility and inclusivity for people with visual impairments. Alt text is a descriptive text that users can add to their photos, which screen readers can read. This makes accessing visual content easier for people who rely on assistive technologies.
Is Instagram alt text the same as captions?
No, Instagram alt text and captions are two different things. Alt text is like a hidden description for pictures that helps people who can’t see them. It’s mainly for users who rely on screen readers or similar tools. Alt text is not visible, and its purpose is to explain what’s happening in the image. Captions, on the other hand, are the words you see below a post. They are visible to everyone and can be used to tell a story, share feelings, or ask questions about the picture. In summary, alt text is a description for accessibility purposes, while captions are visible for everyone to read.